This months Mixed Media Place challenge emotion theme is Curiosity. I had great fun working on a small canvas and working with this theme. I love this quote ‘replace fear of the unknown with curiosity’. I decided to use it on my canvas. I was also curious to see if a new iridescent medium I bought worked liked I hoped it would and also curious to see if after not drawing for years how rusty at it I was! (Spoiler – the answer was VERY rusty!!).
I also put together a little tutorial on this one just to show how easy it can be to work on canvas boards.
What you will need:
- Canvas board
- Stamps & inks
- Image of an eye or else pencils to draw one
- Book paper
- Vellum (for the sentiment)
- Stencils & sponge/dabber
- Anything else knocking about on your desk that you want to use up :)
Give the canvas a base coat of paint. I used a mushroom brown colour.
When the paint is fully dry spritz with some ink sprays. I added a lot of spray and allowed it to marble around to blend. Let this dry fully – or use your heat gun if you are short of time like I usually am.
I stamped on the canvas using black ink. I used archival ink and before it was fully dry used my (well stained) craft towel wiped the ink off. I made sure to wipe in one direction. Wiping harder in some places than in others gives a more faced effect in some parts than others.
Ink the edges of the canvas with the black ink.
I used a Tim Holtz ‘shattered’ stencil to stencil over my canvas. To stencil on the canvas I used my iridescent medium. This gives the look of silks paints – which I covet but can’t afford! The medium is slightly silvery in colour but it reacts with the water based sprays and takes on their colours. You can also mix it with any paint to give a shimmer effect.
Draw and eye or else cut one from a magazine, or print from the internet.
Take a page from a book and draw a rough circle of the size of your eye picture on it. I then used a craft knife to cut into the centre of this circle and then ‘tore’ the paper open to give a peeled back effect.
I stamped my sentiment on vellum and let it dry. I then cut the words out, inked the edges and used a xyron to add adhesive to the back of the pieces. I liked how the vellum showed the background through it still but let the letters stand out enough.
I used some distress stain on some chipboard cogs and inked over them in black also.
I added my vellum words and some of the chipboard cogs and some metal cogs also.
I outlined the velum words using a sepia toned pen to make them stand out a little bit more.
I am also entering this into the Artistic Stamper Embossing and Texture challenge. I used the iridescent medium like a texture paste to emboss through the stencil and have texture everywhere I can on the canvas!